Transfer Credit Hours Required and Accepted for the Ross BBA

Students are responsible for knowing if their coursework is accepted or not by the Ross School of Business.

    1. General guidelines for all transfer credits

    The below rules apply to coursework completed outside of UM-Ann Arbor before or during the BBA program.

    • Only courses with a grade of C or higher are transferable (courses with a grade of C- or below do not transfer).
    • Courses elected on an optional Pass/Fail grading basis courses must be accompanied by official documentation of a C grade or better.
    • A-Level courses: only non-business coursework transfers.
    • No business coursework is accepted for transfer, with the exception of courses taken at UM-Ann Arbor.
    • For coursework completed in Spring 2014 or later: students may transfer in coursework completed at a community college regardless of credits completed, as long as coursework meets all other Ross guidelines.
    • Any transfer credit applied to a student's record will not be removed.

    2. Additional policies for UM-Ann Arbor coursework taken before and during the BBA program

    • No more than 30 non-graded credits may count toward the 120 credits needed for the degree. All courses elected on a Pass/Fail grading basis prior to admission to the BBA program must have a grade of C or higher in order to be eligible for transfer. 
    • No credit for Physical Education coursework.
    • No credit for vocational coursework.
    • No credit for any courses offered through the Military Officer Education Programs except for those courses cross-listed in other academic units.
    • School of Music, Theatre, & Dance ensemble courses yield degree credit, but no honor points.
    • Limit of 4.0 credits granted for writing practicum coursework. For details, see:
    • Limit of 4.0 credits granted for English Language Institute (ELI) coursework (see
    • All School of Kinesiology courses (including UMOVE) are recorded as "not for credit" except for certain approved courses.  Students may receive credit for the approved courses as found on the LSA website: Please note: if you have completed a School of Kinesiology course prior to Winter 2018, you will need to check with the Ross Registrar's Office to verify its eligibility for credit.
    • Independent Study/Experiential/Directed Reading Courses: This policy is currently under review.  Changes to the policy will be published on the Ross iMpact website ( 
    • Experiential courses: A maximum of 15 credits of experiential courses may count toward a degree.  This limit includes credits earned both prior to and during the BBA program.  A maximum of 8 credits may be earned from any one LSA project.  This includes credit for Residential College and Lloyd Hall Scholars Program experiential courses.  Only one experiential project may be elected each term.  Below is a list of Ross courses that are considered experiential:
    Experiential Courses
    DEPT & Number Title
    ES 395 Entrepreneurial Management
    ES/STRATEGY/BA 455 Base of the Pyramid
    MKT 411 Advertising Management
    MO 455 Foundations in POS
    MO 456 Action Learning for Foundations in POS
    BA 453 Capstone MAP
    MKT 401 Marketing Management II
    MO 463 Creativity at Work
    MO/STRATEGY 470 Strategic Management of Knowledge in Professional Service Firms
    STRATEGY 492 Dynamic Capabilities Through Corporate Development
    TO 465 Business Systems Consulting
    TO 482 Action Learning Projects in Operations, Procurement, and Supply Chain
    ES 414 Entrepreneurship Practicum
    ES/FIN 329 Financing Research Commercialization
    ES 401 Michigan Blue Venture Fund
    ES 402 Zell Early Stage Fund
    ES 403 Social Venture Fund
    ACC/FIN 335/336 Maize and Blue Fund
    ACC/FIN 338 Maize and Blue Fund SR
    FIN 402 Real Estate Fund I
    FIN 403 Real Estate Fund II
    BA 455/456/457 Living Business Leadership Experience
    BL 488 Business and the Public Policy Process
    BL/BUSABRD 311/411 Cross-Cultural Negotiation and Dispute Resolution
    BL/BUSABRD 319 Intellectual Property Law
    BUSABRD/STRATEGY 320 Global Immersion: Study Abroad
    BUSABRD/FIN 330 Financial Emerging Markets
    BA/BUSABRD 425 Global Practicum



    Independent Study Project

    3. Transfer of Summer Courses Taken at Other Institutions

    • Prospective BBA students who are planning to take Spring or Summer term courses at other institutions prior to anticipated enrollment in the BBA program should check in advance with Ross academic advising ( regarding how these credits may transfer to University of Michigan.  The Ross School of Business does not transfer any business credits from other schools. 
    • Current BBA students in good academic standing may request permission from the Ross Registrar's Office to transfer in up to 9.0 credit hours total of non-business coursework from another accredited U.S. institution during their time in the BBA program. This could be after the Freshman, Sophomore, or Junior year, during Summer sessions.  Students may not enroll concurrently with another college or university while enrolled in a regular term at UM Ross School of Business. BBA students are expected to be registered only at UM Ross School of Business during the Fall and Winter terms.  Ross School of Business will only accept transfer credit that comes from an accredited U.S. school of record. Note: the only exception to this policy is credit for the equivalent of ECON 102 at the London School of Economics, England, which does not need a U.S. school of record. 

      BBA students planning to take coursework at another institution should first submit a completed BBA Transfer Credit Preliminary Evaluation form to the Ross Registrar's Office to confirm that the coursework will be accepted toward the BBA degree. Note: permission will not be granted for business courses.  Upon completion of the coursework, an official transcript and any requested additional information (e.g., syllabus) must be sent to the Ross Registrar's Office, 700 East University, Kresge Hall - K3521, Ann Arbor, MI, 48109-1234. Grades earned in these courses must be a C or better to transfer and are not averaged into the BBA cumulative grade point average.