Michigan Ross iMpact

Leading in Thought & Action

Incoming Freshmen BBAs, class of 2022: Registration Information for Fall 2018

Page is currently under construction and information is subject to change - please check back soon for updates!

General registration will open in late November for undergraduates, but the University catalog and schedule of classes for Winter 2018 are available now. First-year students should review the below information carefully before registration opens. 

The Academic Advising staff will also be presenting a Freshman Registration Refresher on Friday, November 17 from 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. in R0210.  First-year students should plan to attend to receive helpful information and reminders regarding registration!

Winter Schedule

Degree Requirements and Planning

Course Swapping











Winter Schedule

Q. When do I register for Winter 2018 courses?

A. The University assigns registration appointment times for undergraduate students between November 27 and December 8.  The times are determined by the credits completed, and then are randomly assigned (you can read more about how registration times are assigned here).  You can view your assigned time on Wolverine Access starting November 13


Q. How do I register for Winter 2018 courses?

A. If your home school is Ross: the Ross Registrar's Office will automatically enroll you into your required business courses (BA 100, BCOM 250) for the winter term.  

If your home school is currently outside of Ross: the Ross Registrar's Office will grant you permission to be able to register for your required business courses (BA 100, BCOM 250) for the winter term.  A member of the Ross Registrar's Office staff will send you a notification when your permission is granted.  You will then need to go on Wolverine Access to add these classes to your schedule for the winter term when your registration appointment time opens.  

For all students: you will be able to enroll in your non-business coursework on Wolverine Access when your registration appointment time opens.


Q. When can I start backpacking Winter 2018 courses?

A. Beginning November 13, you can add classes to your "Backpack" in Wolverine Access, just as you may remember doing at First Year Orientation.  Backpacking courses allows you to quickly add those classes all at once when your registration appointment time opens.  However, be aware that backpacking does not reserve a seat for you in the class - it is simply a way to put the course in your "shopping cart" so that you can "check-out" quickly.  If a class in your backpack is full when your registration time opens, you may waitlist yourself, and/or select an alternate open class at that time.


Degree Requirements and Planning

Q. What are the academic requirements I'm expected to complete in my first year?

A. First-year students must meet the following requirements:

  • Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.500 or higher by the end of your freshman winter term.  GPAs are NOT rounded up.
  • Complete the following three courses at U-M Ann Arbor, each with a grade of C or better, by the end of Winter Term 2018:
  • Successfully complete the following two courses at the Ross School of Business by the end of Winter 2018: BA 100, BCOM 250. 
  • Enroll in a minimum of 12 credits or more at U-M Ann Arbor during each Fall Term 2017 and Winter Term 2018.
  • Maintain "Good Academic Standing" at Ross with a term and cumulative grade point average of 2.500 or higher at U-M Ann Arbor.

First-year students are also expected to meet the following programmatic requirements during their freshman year at U-M:

  • Meet regularly with your Ross Academic Advisor and participate in mandatory academic support activities as requested by your Ross Academic Advisor;

  • Inform your Ross Academic Advisor and Ross Undergraduate Admissions if they have been accused of or engaged in a form of academic dishonesty, behavioral misconduct, a policy violation (to include on- and off-campus), and/or criminal activity (to include pending and convicted cases) upon matriculation (e.g., over the summer) and while a student at the University of Michigan. 


Q. How can I find out more about the BBA Curriculum?

A. During your first year you will take a broad range of courses. Below is some general information and answers to common questions regarding Ross program requirements.  For more detailed information please visit the BBA curriculum page. Ross academic advisors are another great resource for answering curriculum and course planning questions.


Q. Do I have to take any business courses my first year?

A. Students will be required to take BCOM 250 (1.5 credit hours), Introduction to Business Communications, during the Winter Term of their first year (Note: this course must be taken for a letter grade)

Students are also required to attend a bi-weekly seminar course (BA 100–Intro to Ross: Foundations for Learning Business) as part of the program.


Q. What business courses can I take my first year?

A. BCOM 250  and BA 100 are the only mandatory business courses students take in their first year. The only other business course opportunity for first year students is through a Ross Study Abroad Program. If you are interested, please review the information on the following website: http://michiganross.umich.edu/programs/global-initiatives/undergraduate-opportunities.


Q. What kind of courses should I look at completing my first year?

A. Aside from the mandatory admission requirements, it is suggested that you take courses counting toward your distribution or that help prepare you for future business coursework (such as Econ 102).

Another suggestion would be coursework that may lead to a possible minor or other area of interest. Your advisor can assist you with this.

Your first year at Michigan provides you with a great chance to explore different academic interests. Speak with your academic advisor(s) about the wealth of opportunities offered at Michigan while helping to ensure that you are maintaining a balanced schedule.


Q. What are the Ross distribution requirements?

A. ​Ross students must complete three of the four areas listed in the chart below.  We adhere to the same distribution course list as LSA so you should utilized their online list (http://www.lsa.umich.edu/cg/default.aspx) to find courses that fulfill the categories below:

Complete 3 of the 4 Areas Below
Foreign Language - 4th term proficiency
Humanities - 9 credit hours
Social Science (excluding Econ 101 & 102) - 9 credit hours
Natural Science and/or Mathematical and Symbolic Analysis - 9 credit 


Q. Where can I find out more information on the BBA curriculum?

​A. While you will spend your first year taking a broad range of courses on campus and completing Ross prerequisite requirements, if you want to start looking ahead you can check out the BBA curriculum page here.

Ross academic advisors are great resources for answering curriculum questions and helping you develop a course plan that supports your academic goals as well.  Students may schedule an appointment with their academic advisor online by clicking here!


Q. I still have questions, is there someone I can talk to?

​A. If you have questions regarding course selection or degree requirements, please schedule an appointment with your Academic Advisor through our Academic Counseling appointment system. You can also meet with an Academic Advisor during Academic Advising Drop-in hours (Monday-Friday from 2:30 - 4 p.m. in Kresge Hall, Suite K3521) for quick advising questions or urgent issues.  Advisors will also hold special winter registration Winter Garden hours for additional assistance:

Winter Registration Drop-In Hours
Monday, November 13 from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. in the Winter Garden
Friday, December 1 from 12 - 2 p.m. in the Winter Garden

You can also schedule a Peer Academic Advising appointment to meet with one of the Ross Academic Peer Advisors or visit them during their drop-in hours (times and locations vary - check iMpact for current information).

For assistance with forms and letter requests, permissions, registration troubleshooting, and other processes, please contact Ross Registrar's Office by phone (734-647-4933) or email (rossregistrarsoffice@umich.edu).  You may also stop by the third floor of Kresge Hall (Suite K3521) Monday, Wednesday, & Friday from 1:30 - 2:30 p.m. or Tuesday & Thursday from 10 - 11 a.m. for assistance with these types 


Course Swapping

Q. What is course swapping?

A. Course swapping is the method Ross students use to resolve BBA core course conflicts. It is very important that students reflect on the decision to alter their assigned core schedule since it may impact their section cohort experience and transition to Ross. Generally, students choose to keep their assigned schedule of courses, swapping sections only if there is a significant need to do so.  The only BBA course that first-year students can swap during the winter semester is BCOM 250.


Q. What do I do if my core class is the same time as another course I need to take?

A. Students may complete the swap request form for the core class which conflicts (there will be an individual form for each class).  To submit a swap request is to commit to swap and, once a swap has been processed and permissions to enroll in the new section have been entered into Wolverine Access, the commitment to swap is complete and the student must switch sections.  Since the student's original seat is given to another student during the swap processing, any student wanting back into his/her original section after swaps have been processed will need to submit another swap request.  Please note that, although swap requests are processed regularly, there is no guarantee that a swap request will be processed, and students are encouraged to have a back-up plan in place in consultation with their Academic Advisor.  A link to the course swap request form is posted below.


Q. What should I do if I have a documented disability, intercollegiate athletic obligation, official University or religious obligation, or a required course for my dual degree that conflicts with a core class? 

A.  Students who have conflicts with a core class due to a documented disability, intercollegiate athletic obligation, official University or religious obligation, or a required course for a dual degree, are asked to submit a form and provide a letter from the SSD office or his/her coach, advisor, or religious leader/organization via e-mail to the Ross Registrar's Office so that we can review and process the necessary schedule adjustments where possible.