- What is IDO and why does Ross find it valuable?
- What exactly does a student need to complete in order to receive credit for an IDO experience or to complete the IDO milestone degree requirement?
- What study abroad experiences can be used fulfill the "D" session portion of the "D" milestone requirement?
- What sort of assessment or reflection will students need to complete? How will this be tracked?
- What if my reflection paper isn't approved?
- How will my participation be tracked?
- What information will be tracked?
- When does the IDO milestone degree requirement need to be completed?
- How will I know which aspects of the IDO milestone degree requirement have been completed?
- Will any of these requirements be different for dual degree students?
IDO stands for Identity and Diversity in Organizations. It is a milestone degree requirement for all BBA students that Ross implemented to ensure that BBA graduates are well prepared to be business leaders who create a better world through business. Additionally, recruiters hiring Ross students are looking for candidates who understand how to navigate diverse workplaces and understand diverse customers, clients, shareholders, and other stakeholders.
2. What exactly does a student need to complete in order to receive credit for an IDO experience or to complete the IDO milestone degree requirement?
The requirements to meet the degree milestones are twofold: first, a student must attend an IDO session. After the session, the student will write a reflection paper based on the prompts provided. Papers are assessed using a standard rubric (available on Canvas) by IDO Assistants.
Here is a step-by-step overview of the IDO milestone degree requirement:
- Sign up for an “I” session on Canvas
- Attend “I” session
- Thoughtfully and authentically engage throughout the experience
- Utilize the resources provided
- Complete the assignment on Canvas
Junior and Senior Year: Repeat above steps for “D” and “O”
Note: Seniors must complete the requirements for “O” by March 1 of their graduation year
3. What study abroad experiences can be used to fulfill the "D" session portion of the "D" milestone requirement?
Only Ross Global Initiative experiences can be used to fulfill the session portion of your "D" requirement. In order to successfully complete the "D" milestone with a Ross Global experience, students must attend the experience and earn a “complete” on their reflection papers. Reflection papers will be scored on the same rubric as the papers written by students who attended a session on campus.
Students must write a reflection paper about the IDO session they attended. This paper will be due two weeks after the IDO session. Please see the IDO Reflection Paper Guidelines for more information. IDO Assistants who evaluate the papers will hold regular office hours to assist students with writing their reflection papers. Additional resources will be available on Canvas.
If a paper is not approved, the student will be notified and receive an email from the program coordinator. The next steps that the student will need to take to earn credit for the milestone will depend on the reason(s) the paper did not receive a score that would deem the milestone complete. Next steps may include rewriting the reflection paper, meeting with an IDO Assistant or staff member, or restarting the process by attending another IDO session.
If a student does not complete the steps required to complete the milestone, the milestone will remain incomplete. Incomplete milestones can prevent a student from being on track to graduate.
Students need to sign up for sessions beforehand on Canvas. All sessions have an attendance cap; students who have signed up on Canvas will receive priority in attending the session.
Session participation will be tracked by Ross employees. Students who arrive late or leave early will not receive credit for attending. Only students marked by Ross employees as having been present in the session will receive access to the reflection paper assignment on Canvas.
Ross will have a record of which IDO-certified experiences students attend, reflection paper scores, and when you have completed
each of the IDO milestones. Students will also have a record of this because the program coordinator will notify them of the status of their reflection papers approximately two weeks after they are due.
Each milestone (I,D, and O) will be recorded on the student’s transcript.
The IDO milestone degree requirement must be completed by March 1 of a student's final Winter semester prior to graduation. In order to stay on track with this requirement, students should plan to follow this timeline:
- Identity due during sophomore year in the BBA program
- Diversity due during junior year in the BBA program
- Organizations due by March 1 of a student's final year in the BBA program
IDO progress will be tracked through Canvas and by the Office of Undergraduate Programs. Once each component (identity, diversity, and organizations) is complete, your academic degree requirement in Wolverine Access will be updated to reflect this. It will also be reflected on your transcript. If you have any additional questions, please contact your academic advisor.
No. IDO is a milestone degree requirement for all BBA students.