You are here

Sophomore BBAs, Class of 2021: Registration Information for Fall 2018

All Sophomore students are required to attend the Sophomore GEAR UP event on campus on Thursday, August 30 from 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.   More details about this will be provided to you later in the summer.

Information for all Ross Sophomores:

Fall Schedule

Degree Requirements, Core Courses, and Planning

Course Swapping

Additional Information for New Cross-Campus and External Transfer Students 





















Fall Schedule

Q. What Fall business core courses will I take as a Sophomore BBA?
A. Sophomore BBAs will be required to take the following three core courses in their Fall term:
  • ACC 300: Financial Accounting (3.0 credits)
  • BA 200: Businesses and Leaders: The Positive Differences (3.0 credits)
  • TO 301: Business Analytics and Statistics (4.0 credits)
Q. Can I add business electives or floating core to my Fall 2018 schedule?
A. No, floating core and business electives will not be available to BBA Sophomores until Winter 2019. As you build a balanced schedule, you may also consider completing distribution (be sure to use the LSA Course Guide to verify which classes meet the main distribution areas – FL, NS/MSA, SS, and HU) and/or other degree requirements (e.g., ECON 102).
Q. How many classes should I plan to take in addition to my fixed core courses for the Fall term?
A. Sophomore BBA students will take 10 credits of fixed core (ACC 300, BA 200, and TO 301) during the Fall term. You will want to take an additional course or two in order to complete the recommended average of 12-15 credits per term.  Please keep in mind that the Sophomore Fall in the BBA program is an adjustment, so don't overdo it.
Q. When can I begin making changes to my Fall schedule?
A. You will be able to add and make adjustments to non-Ross courses from the time your registration appointment opens until the drop/add deadline of the Fall term. In order to adjust a core course you will need to follow the policies regarding course swapping.  
If you spent your first year in a home school outside of Ross: you will be notified during summer 2018 when you can begin modifying your previous class selections to accommodate your assigned section of BBA core courses.  Please do NOT make any changes prior to being notified.  More information on this is provided below.
If you are an external transfer student: you will register for Fall classes, and can begin making changes to your schedule, during the required Transfer Orientation session you must attend in July or August.  More information on this is provided below.
Q. Do I need to use the backpack feature on Wolverine Access before registration opens?
A. We recommend using it, but it is not required. Backpacking courses allows you to quickly add those classes all at once when your registration appointment time opens. However, be aware that backpacking does not reserve a seat for you in the class - it is simply a way to put the course in your "shopping cart" so that you can "check-out" quickly. If a class in your backpack is full when your registration time opens, you may waitlist yourself, and/or select an alternate open class at that time.
Q. I still have questions. Is there someone I can talk to?
A. If you have questions regarding course selection or degree requirements, please schedule an appointment with your academic advisor through our Academic Counseling appointment system. You can also meet with an academic advisor during Academic Advising Drop-in hours (offered during the regular Fall and Winter terms, Monday-Friday from 2:30-4 p.m. in Kresge Hall, Suite K3521) for quick advising questions or urgent issues. 
During the Fall and Winter terms, you can also schedule a Peer Academic Advising appointment to meet with one of the Ross Academic Peer Advisors or visit them during their drop-in hours (times and locations vary - check iMpact for current information).
For assistance with forms and letter requests, permissions, registration troubleshooting, and other processes, please contact the Ross Registrar’s Office by phone (734-647-4933) or email ( You may also stop by the third floor of Kresge Hall (Suite K3521) during the Fall and Winter terms on Monday, Wednesday, & Friday from 1:30-2:30 p.m. or Tuesday & Thursday from 10-11 a.m. for assistance with these types of issues.  The Ross Registrar's Office does not hold drop-in hours during the summer months but students are encouraged to schedule an appointment if needed at that time.

Degree Requirements, Core Courses, and Planning

Q. How many credits should I plan to take each term as a BBA student?
A. You should register for a minimum of 12 credit hours each term. Going below 12 credits makes you a part-time student, which affects degree progress, financial aid, and international students' immigration status and is not permitted for BBA students, with some exceptions for students in their final year. It is recommended that most BBAs average 12-15 credits per term. If you are uncertain how many credit hours you must maintain each term to reach the required amount for graduation please consult with your Ross academic advisor.
Q. When should I take ECON 102?
A. ECON 102 must be completed before beginning your Junior Fall term.  Students are encouraged to complete this course earlier rather than later, though the timing of this course will vary from student to student.  It is best to consult with your Ross academic advisor to determine when it is best for you to complete this.  Please remember that you must take ECON 102 on a graded basis if completed at UM-Ann Arbor.
Q. What do I do if I want to do a "concentration" or "emphasis?"
A. Ross offers a general Baccalaureate degree in Business Administration designed to prepare students for a wide variety of careers. You will have the flexibility to select electives within that major that align with your interests and goals. Students should meet with their academic advisor to discuss options as they plan ahead. We recommend that Sophomores focus on their required core classes as well as completing distribution and ECON 102 first.
Q. How do I find out what courses are being offered and when?
A. You can view the full University schedule for the upcoming Fall term (including Ross and non-Ross courses) on Wolverine Access, or via the Office of the Registrar. The LSA Course Guide is another great resource if you are looking for courses to fulfill distribution.  Although you will not be able to see Winter 2019 course offerings until mid-Fall, you may still be able to see when courses have historically been offered by searching past terms on the LSA Course Guide or by viewing the course descriptions for Ross courses.
Q. What other academic opportunities can I explore as a Sophomore?
A. There are many opportunities that can be explored during Sophomore year. These include:
Q. Who is responsible for making sure I complete all of my requirements?
A. Each student is responsible for registering for and completing all of their appropriate requirements. The Ross Registrar's Office will enroll students into their fixed core courses each term based on section, but all other enrollment responsibilities (ECON 102, distribution, electives, etc.) fall on the individual student.  A helpful tool in planning your semester-by-semester coursework is the Personal Development Plan (PDP).  You can download a blank PDP template by clicking here
If at any time you have a concern regarding your schedule or fulfillment of requirements, be sure to contact your Ross academic advisor.
Q. What are my core requirements?
A. You can review the core curriculum for BBA students on the curriculum page. 
Q. How do I know which degree requirements I have or haven't completed?
A. You can review your academic requirements on Wolverine Access and access a live degree audit of your record. You may also view the core curriculum, track your progress using a Degree Requirement Checklist, and schedule an advising appointment each term with your academic advisor to discuss your academic plan and ensure you remain on track for graduation.
Q. What is IDO and when should I complete this?
A. IDO is a milestone requirement that students must fulfill in order to graduate.  Students will complete the "I" (Identity) milestone in Sophomore year, the "D" (Diversity) milestone in Junior year, and the "O" (Organizations) milestone in Senior year.  More information on the IDO requirement can be found here.  Please email Shannon Van Gundy (, Program Coordinator for IDO, with any questions.

Course Swapping

Q. What is course swapping?
A. Course swapping is the method Ross students use to resolve BBA core course conflicts. It is very important that you reflect on the decision to alter your assigned core schedule since it may impact your section cohort experience and transition to Ross core. Generally, students choose to keep their assigned schedule of courses, swapping sections only if there is a significant need to do so. 
Q. What core classes am I eligible to swap?
A. You may request to swap any core courses, but please note that the course sections of ACC 300 and TO 301 are linked by section number.  If you wish to swap either ACC 300 or TO 301, you must swap both courses.  See the diagram below for more information on section days and times.
Section ACC 300 TO 301 BA 200 Conflicts


007, 020


003, 004, 005, 006,
008, 016, 017, 018,
019, 021


009, 010, 022, 023


003, 004, 005, 006,
011, 016, 017, 018,
019, 024


005, 006, 012, 018,
019, 025


013, 026


007, 020


008, 021














Q. What do I do if my core class is the same time as another course I need to take?
A. You may complete the swap request form.  To submit a swap request is to commit to swap and, once a swap has been processed and permissions to enroll in the new section have been entered into Wolverine Access, the commitment to swap is complete and you must switch sections.  Since your original seat is given to another student during the swap processing, any student wanting back into his/her original section after swaps have been processed will need to submit another swap request.  Please note that, although swap requests are processed regularly, there is no guarantee that a swap request will be processed, and you are encouraged to have a back-up plan in place in consultation with their academic advisor.  The Ross Registrar's Office will begin processing swaps on April 6 and will continue to do so at least once weekly throughout the summer.  If your swap has been completed, Wolverine Access will send an automated notification that you have permission to enroll in your new section.  Then, after your enrollment appointment opens, you will need to drop your current section and enroll in the new one.  Updates to the swap request form and new responses will be accepted until 4:00 p.m. on Monday, August 27, 2018.
Q. What should I do if I have a documented disability, intercollegiate athletic obligation, official University or religious obligation, or a required course for my dual degree that conflicts with a core class?
A.  Students who have conflicts with a core class due to a documented disability, intercollegiate athletic obligation, official University or religious obligation, or a required course for a dual degree, are asked to submit a course swap request form and provide a letter from the SSD office or his/her coach, advisor, or religious leader/organization via e-mail to the Ross Registrar's Office so that they can review and process the necessary schedule adjustments where possible.  

Additional information for new cross-campus and external transfer students











Summer Tasks and Options

Q. Do I need to do anything over the summer?
A. Yes!  There are a few items that cross-campus and external transfer students will need to take care of this summer: 
  • You will need to officially "accept" your admission to Ross so that the appropriate systems recognize that you are a BBA student.  Specific information for how to do this is provided in your acceptance letter. The deadline to accept your offer is June 29, 2018.
  • You will be required to attend BA 102: Business Foundations, prior to the start of classes.  This course will take place on Monday, August 27 from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and on Tuesday, August 28 from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.  There will also be two additional meetings during the Fall term.  Please mark your calendar now for this requirement!
  • External transfer students only: you are required to attend a University Orientation in July or August.  Please watch your email for more information about this and be sure to register for a session as soon as possible.
Q. Am I required to attend Sophomore GEAR UP?  When is it?
A. Yes.  Sophomore GEAR UP is MANDATORY for all students who will be BBA Sophomores in Fall 2018, so be sure to make your travel plans accordingly.  Sophomore GEAR UP will take place on Thursday, August 30.  Note: Ross has secured early move-in for our incoming Sophomore students.  BBA students living in the dorms will be able to move in on a date to be announced.
Q. Do I need to fill out any paperwork for Ross to "transfer" my prior coursework?
A. No, unless you are taking coursework outside of UM-Ann Arbor this summer.  In that case, be sure to submit a Transfer Credit Preliminary Evaluation form to the Ross Registrar's Office and request that an official transcript be sent directly to the Ross Registrar's Office (700 E. University Ave, Kresge Hall - K3521, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1234) once the grade for the course has been officially posted.
Q. I have completed over 45 credits of coursework.  Do I have to tell the Ross Registrar's Office which of my credits I want to be a part of this 45?
A. No. The Ross Registrar's Office will process ALL classes that meet our transfer credit requirement but will cap the total credits toward the 120 minimum needed for graduation at 45.  This means that, as long as the courses are accepted by Ross, we will use all classes on your record that fulfill requirements such as distribution.
Q. Can I take courses during the summer?  Can I take them outside of UM-Ann Arbor?
A. Yes. Incoming BBA students can take non-business coursework at any accredited community college or 4-year institution (including UM-Ann Arbor) in the Spring or Summer before starting in Ross.  You will need to be aware of the specific rules/policies for transfer credits.  Keep in mind that the Ross Registrar's Office will transfer a maximum of 45 credits toward the BBA program and any spring/summer coursework taken prior to starting the BBA program this Fall is included in that 45-credit cap.
  • Students taking coursework outside UM-Ann Arbor this Spring/Summer should review the Office of Undergraduate Admissions Course Equivalency Database BEFORE REGISTERING and submit a Transfer Credit Preliminary Evaluation form to the Ross Registrar's Office for pre-approval.  An official transcript should be sent directly to the Ross Registrar's Office upon completion of the transfer coursework.  Note: if your transfer coursework is already in progress, please still submit the Transfer Credit Preliminary Evaluation form for tracking purposes.
  • Ross generally follows LSA guidelines for which courses/schools will transfer to Michigan, with the exception that they cannot be business courses. ECON 102, while required for our curriculum, is an LSA course, so it may be taken outside UM-Ann Arbor as long as it is completed before the start of your Junior Fall term.  The transfer course must be listed as an exact equivalent to ECON 102 at UM (not 102x or Departmental Credit) in the Course Equivalency Database.  Note: Macroeconomics courses completed online are not transferable to the University of Michigan or the Ross School of Business.
  • Be advised, once you have officially matriculated into Ross (starting Fall term), you will be allowed to transfer up to 9 additional credits from accredited institutions outside of the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.

Q. Are there any rules, policies, or preparation materials I need to review over the summer?

A. Yes. Each student will be responsible for reviewing or completing the following:

  • It is each student's responsibility to review the course registration rules and policies carefully.
  • There may be preparation materials or tasks for your core courses.  This information will be posted as it is released and also sent via the BBA newsletter.  The BBA newsletters will be sent to Sophomore students on a weekly basis beginning in early July.
  • There may be additional assessments on Leadership and Intercultural skills.  This information will be posted as it is released and also sent via the BBA newsletter.


Fall Schedule

Q. What happens to the Fall classes for which I'm already registered?

A. For cross-campus transfer students: The coursework you have scheduled for Fall will be moved from your prior school (e.g., LSA, Engineering) to Ross by mid-summer.  This is also when you will be enrolled into your BBA core courses.  Once this process is complete, you may need to adjust your schedule.  You will be notified when your courses have been moved so you can begin making adjustments.  Once notified, you should see all of your courses under your Business Administration career in Wolverine Access.  Please do not make any changes prior to that time unless specifically instructed to do so by the Office of the Registrar or the Ross Registrar's Office. The process for resolving conflicts with any Ross core courses is listed above under Course Swapping.

For external transfer students: You will register for your Fall term classes during your Transfer Orientation session this summer.

Q. What should I do if I am registered for too many credits?

A. For cross-campus transfer students: Since you will be pre-enrolled into 10.5 credits of BBA core courses in addition to your previous Fall class selections, you may temporarily have a Fall course load exceeding 18 credits.  Since BBA students are not permitted to take more than 18 credits in a term (and most will average the recommended 12-15 credits per term), you will need to adjust your course load by dropping some non-BBA courses from your schedule.  Students may NOT drop their core BBA classes.

For external transfer students: You will register for your Fall term classes during your Transfer Orientation session this summer and you will not be permitted to register for more than 18 credits in a term.