You are here

BBA Study Abroad Registration Information

Ross Global Initiatives

Third-Party Study Abroad Programs

This FAQ covers the ways in which some of the most common study abroad opportunities can affect your Ross registration. Regardless of which study abroad options you choose to pursue, you will need to make an appointment with your academic advisor in order to discuss the impact this would have on your degree plan, talk over your academic requirements, and make sure that you will be able to study abroad.
For more information on specific Ross Global Initiatives programs and services, please visit their website.
A. Ross Global Initiatives offers a number of international business experiences, including short-term and summer global experiences, summer internships, and full semester global exchanges. For more information, see their website.
A. Ross Short-Term and Summer Global Experiences are typically 3 credit courses, so you'll need to leave room in your schedule to enroll in Winter term for Spring Break or May courses or in the subsequent Fall term for August courses. Students should avoid going above 18 credits in a term in order to enroll in Global Initiatives programs.
A. Students participating in the global semester exchange will enroll in a 1.5 credit course, 1.0 of which will apply to the Junior Fall term, and .5 of which will apply to the Junior Winter term. You'll need to leave room in your schedule to enroll in these courses. Students should avoid going above 18 credits in a term in order to enroll in Global Initiatives programs.
A. No. Your core classes, including the floating core, must be taken at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor. You will need to have your floating core completed by the end of your Senior Fall term, so plan accordingly if you want to pursue the semester exchange program.
Q. What is CGIS? Can Ross Students apply to take part in their programs?
A. The Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS) is an LSA center that offers a number of study abroad programs for Michigan students. Ross students can apply for and participate in CGIS programs.
Q. Can I earn business credit as part of a CGIS program?
A. No. Ross students can only earn business credits at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor or through a Ross Global Initiatives program.
Q. How many credits can I take as part of a CGIS program?
A. CGIS offers a number of programs, ranging from short-term service learning opportunities to full semester experiences, with credit offerings to match. Unlike participants in a third-party program, however, students in CGIS programs are enrolled at the University of Michigan during their time abroad. Therefore, credits earned through CGIS do not apply to the 9-credit transfer limit for BBA students.
Q. I want to study abroad through a third-party, non-UM provider. What do I have to do to clear this with Ross and make sure my credits transfer?
A. The first thing you should do is schedule an appointment with your academic advisor. They can go over your degree plan with you and see how a semester abroad would fit in and discuss relevant policies.
Q. How do I make sure that my credits will transfer?
A. First, review the transfer credit policies (found here). Please note the number of available transfer credits you have remaining. You can only transfer 9 total credits from a non-UM institution after you begin your BBA program, so if you already have transfer credit (e.g., you took ECON 102 at a different college between Sophomore and Junior years, etc.) this will reduce the amount of credits you can transfer in from studying abroad.
Next, be certain to check the Office of Undergraduate Admissions course equivalency website to see how your non-UM courses may transfer. If you do not see a course appearing on the website, you'll need to submit an additional evaluation. See the transfer credit evaluation form found here for how to submit evaluations. Please note that it may take the OUA a few weeks to evaluate your courses, so don't wait until the last minute.
Q. Can transfer credits count towards my distribution requirements?
A. Possibly. If you are seeking credits towards distribution:
  • Check the for the course on the course equivalency website.
  • If the course has a direct UM equivalent, you can see which distribution requirements it meets by checking the LSA Course Guide.
  • If you see a course that can be transferred, but does not show a direct equivalent (such as HISTART 101x or HISTART dept), you won't find it in the LSA Course Guide. In this case, you will need to submit additional materials to your academic advisor so that the advising team can determine how the course may meet distribution requirements. You can find out more about this process on the distribution exception form.
  • You should plan on reviewing several classes so that you are prepared for different course registration options. Please feel free to make follow-up appointments with your advisor to keep discussing this process.
Q. I have an approval form from my study abroad provider. How can I get this signed?
A. Most providers will require your advisor to sign a form approving your study abroad. This form may have several sections. One is an advisor approval/nomination form, which can be signed by your academic advisor.
Another common section of approval forms is a disciplinary statement. You will need to contact the Office of Student Conflict Resolution in order to have them complete this portion. To request the release of your disciplinary information:
  • Go to this site.
  • Read the information presented, then go to the next page.
  • On the next page, you'll see a brief online form that asks for your information and your photo ID.
  • On the drop down menu, select "A summary of my disciplinary record that could be shared with graduate schools, study abroad programs, or employers."
  • Please request that the Office of Student Conflict Resolution provide your record release to your non-UM study abroad contact person.
  • You can also make this request in person at the OSCR offices, located at 100 Student Activities Building.
  • Note: OSCR may take up to five business days to process your request. Please leave ample time before your program's due date.
  • Please note: Even if you have a disciplinary record, this doesn't mean that a study abroad provider would automatically disqualify you. Being transparent and truthful in this process is the most important piece of your application. If you have any questions about this, please let your advisor know.
Q. Can I earn business credits as  part of a third-party program?
A. No. Ross students can only earn business credits at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor or through a Ross Global Initiatives Program.
Q. Will my financial aid still apply if I participate in a third-party program?
A. Possibly. You'll want to contact the financial aid office responsible for processing your aid and see what aid might be available for you.
Q. I have a question that wasn't addressed on this site. Where should I turn?
A. If you have specific questions about studying abroad (insurance requirements, housing, registering for classes abroad, etc), please contact the Ross Global Initiatives office, or attend their drop-in hours, Tuesdays 10 a.m.-Noon or Wednesdays 1-3 p.m. If you have specific academic questions (can I fit studying abroad into my degree plan, what distribution credits do I need, etc), please contact your academic advisor.