Michigan Ross iMpact

Leading in Thought & Action

BBA Minors


  1.  What do I need to know?
  2. How do I declare a minor?
  3. What do I do after my minor is declared?
  4. How to communicate with the Ross Registrar's Office

BBA students may pursue academic minors or supplemental study programs from other units within the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, including many minors offered by the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA), the Penny W. Stamps School of Art & Design, the College of Engineering, School of Music Theatre & Dance, and the School of Social Work. 

I.  WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW IF I AM INTERESTED IN A MINOR or supplemental study program?

A variety of academic minors are offered throughout the University; however, only those approved for BBA students may be selected:

Individually designed academic minors are not allowed.  Students may complete more than one minor as long as they are not in the same department or program. 

Credit Sharing: Students pursuing an academic minor may share a maximum of 3.0 credits of business courses needed to meet BBA requirements towards the requirements of the academic minor.  Students admitted to the Graham Sustainability Scholars Program in Winter 2014 or later may not share business courses needed to meet BBA requirements towards the requirements of the Graham Sustainability Scholars Program. 

BBA students declaring minors will not be eligible for graduation until they have completed the requirements for both their BBA degree and their minor.  Although the minor is based within another School or College, no other additional requirements for their degrees have to be met.  For example, LSA minors do not require ULWR, QR, R&E or area distribution.


Once you have identified a minor that interests you:

  1. Talk to an advisor

    Meet with an advisor in your desired minor discipline and request assistance with:

    1. Deciding whether the minor is a good fit with your personal and professional goals.

    2. Identifying the applicable requirements, and determining which you may have already completed and those you still have to take.

    3. Mapping out a plan for completing your remaining minor requirements, keeping in mind that you must work around your BBA degree requirements.

  2. Declare your minor

    Ask your advisor to submit the LSA Minor Declaration Form directly to the Ross Registrar's Office (see below for details).  All minors must be declared prior to the end of your last term.

    • The University cannot and will not recognize your minor until you have officially declared the minor with the appropriate department AND Ross has received the declaration notice and updated your record.

    • How can you tell if Ross has updated your record?  Check your Degree Audit in Wolverine Access- if your minor is in the system, you will be able to view it on your audit.  If you do not see your minor, then the University does NOT have complete record of it and we cannot recognize it on your transcript.

    • Both minor declaration AND minor release (see below) must occur before the end of your final term.


(return to top of page)


  1. Review your academic record

    A few weeks after your minor declaration paperwork has been submitted to the Ross Registrar's Office, review your academic record on Wolverine Access to confirm that your minor has been posted.

  2. Track your progress

    Make sure that you register for all courses that are needed to fulfill your minor requirements.  Consult with your minor advisor as needed to verify your progress.

  3. Document any exceptions

    An exception to a minor requirement that is approved by your minor advisor must be stated on the Concentration/Minor Declaration Form or on the LSA Minor Release Form before graduation.

  4. Certify completion of minor

    Students with declared minors will not be approved for graduation until their minors are certified, or documented, as being complete.  Ask your minor advisor to submit the LSA Academic Minor Release Form (see below for details) stating that you are on track to complete or have completed all minor requirements prior to your anticipated graduation date. 

    Failure to submit this form may delay graduation.




Minor declarations, documentation of exceptions, and certification of minor completions can be handled by your minor advisor in one of the two following ways:

  • Automated LSA web-based system (preferred method)
  • Hard copy form (delivered to E2420)

It is the student's responsibility, and not that of the minor department/advisor, to ensure the appropriate documentation is submitted to the Ross Registrar's Office.


BBA students may contact the Ross Registrar's Office at rossregistrarsoffice@umich.edu with questions.

(return to top of page)