Instead of trying to guess from a list of printers which one might be available when you need to print something important, you can print to one single, generic printer, called "Ross-FollowYou". When you choose the Ross-FollowYou printer, it actually places your document in a virtual queue on our network, which you can then access and print at any of the public Konica printing stations around Ross. Your print job(s) will be stored for several hours while you complete your work, and can only be printed by swiping your M-Card or entering your UMID number, making it secure.
Installing the Ross-FollowYou Printer
Before setting up printing, you must be on the Ross campus and connected to the MWireless-Ross network. (For instructions on connecting to the wireless network, click here.) Trying to print while connected to a different network, such as MGuest-Ross, or plugged into a wall-jack with an Ethernet cord will not work. Likewise, after you install the printer, any time you need to print to it you should be connected to MWireless-Ross.
On a Windows machine
Click the Start button, and enter the following into the "Run" or "Search" box: \\bus-print1\ross-followyou
Windows 8 users can bring up a "Search" box by moving their cursor to the upper-right side of the screen
- Press Enter on your keyboard; wait a few moments and a login window will appear
- Choose the option to sign is as a different user
- Enter UMROOT\your_uniqname for a username and use your UM password; be sure to select "Remember my credentials"
- Your computer will run through an install process, after which "Ross-FollowYou" will be listed as a printer on your computer
- Remember, you must be connected to theMWireless-Ross wireless network in order to print to the FollowYou printer
On a Mac
If you are using the beta version of Mac OS Yosemite, no printer driver is available for that operating system yet, so you will need to connect to a virtual lab computer and use it to print.
The following instructions will work for the last three versions of Mac OS: 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9, however 10.8 and 10.9 will require one extra step before you can proceed. Click here to see the extra step, which will appear below. If you are not sure what version of Mac OS you are using, click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and choose "About this Mac."
- If you haven't already done so, connect to the MWireless-Ross WiFi network using your uniqname and password, making sure you have chosen the option to "save your credentials to the keychain"
- Right-click, "Save As..." and download the Mac Printer Installer as a zip file
- Unzip the file (can usually be done just by double clicking the file)
- Run the Ross-FollowYou installer app found inside the zip file
- When prompted to allow access to "confidential information stores in your keychain," choose "Always Allow"
- Follow the prompts to finish installation
Using the Konica Printers
The following video gives an overview on using the Konica printers. Click here to watch the video in a full window.