Mobile printing is the ability to print a document to the Ross-FollowYou printers from a mobile device, such as iPad. Below, you will find instructions on how to use this service. Please take the time to read this entire page, including the limitations of the service, found at the bottom.
Currently, mobile printing is only supported using an Apple device such as an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch (anything that runs the iOS operating system). This is because of Apple's "AirPrint" technology, which makes it easy to enable the feature on our network. Our goal with mobile printing is to eventually support all mobile devices (such as the many varieties of Android), but we do not have an estimation as to when this will be possible.
How to Print from an "iDevice" (Apple iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch)
Your device must be connected to the MWireless-Ross wireless network for this to work.
- Make sure your device is connected to the MWireless-Ross network using your U-M uniqname and password.
- Open the content you wish to print from your iDevice.
Find and tap the "Share" icon (pictured below), usually located along the top or bottom of the screen.
From the list of "Share" options, tap "Print."
Tap "Select Printer >"
Select "Ross-Mobile Print" from the list of printers.
Choose the number of copies you wish to print (default is 1) and whether you want the document to print double-sided (default is yes), and then tap "Print."
- Retrieve your print job from any of the Ross-FollowYou printers, just as you would a document printed from your laptop.
Finding the "Share" Icon
The "Share" icon is the outline of a square with an arrow pointing upward. Depending on which app you are using, it may be located in different areas of the screen. In most cases it will look like the icon seen at left, although coloring will vary.
One notable exception is Apple's "Mail" app, where the "Print" option will be found when tapping the "Reply" button to an email.
In older versions of iOS, the share button looks more like this.
- In certain apps, the "Share" icon may simply be unavailable. In other apps, it may be available, but "Print" may not be listed among the options. In such cases where the "Share" icon is not available, or the "Print" option is not found, it is safe to assume that that particular app does not support printing.
- Whether or not an app is capable of using the "AirPrint" technology is entirely dependent on the app developer.
- There are very few options in terms of customization: the only options able to be changed are the number of copies and double- or single-sided. All documents will print in color, so please choose whether or not to use this service carefully.